Friday, October 4, 2013

Spies & Thieves...the work of YA author Ally Carter


Enjoy this guest post by one of our teen volunteers, Emily!

Hey guys!  It’s Emily again! Today I’m going to talk about Ally Carter and her two series, The Heist Society and The Gallagher Girls. Sadly, Ally Carter’s books really only appeal to girls, because the main topic is teenage girl power. They’re fantastic books nonetheless, and I’d highly recommend them to anyone. 


Her first series, the Gallagher Girls, is about an all-girl spy academy. It features Cammie, the daughter of the head of the school and her friends. The girls get into trouble everywhere they go, and it’s always full of adventure. I really liked this book because Cammie, despite being a top secret spy, is a very relatable character. She tends to blend in and not be noticed. People even call her the Chameleon. She also gets into very common problems, such as not knowing how to act around boys, being grounded, cramming for tests, and having problems with teachers. Cammie and her band of teenage spies solve crimes, defeat bad guys, all the while having to study and do homework. The girls are constantly being assessed by their teachers, and freaking out about it—another thing everyone can understand. I loved these books. They were packed with action. I never knew what was going to happen next, and I was always routing for Cammie. Plus, they have the best titles. For example: I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You, Don’t Judge a Girl by Her Cover, and Only the Good Spy Young. This series is supposedly finished, but I’d love it if Ally Carter continued the series, because I can never get enough of Cammie and her friends. I haven’t described the other main characters, because I don’t want to spoil all the surprises. Trust me though, you’ll love them all. I can’t even pick a favorite out of the four kick-butt spies.



In contrast to Cammie, a spy on the side of the government, Kat is a thief. She’s like Cammie in many ways, but has her own personality too. She’s also a teenager filling a role meant for a much older person, and she also bands together with a team to save the day—even if that means stealing something. These books are just as enticing as the Gallagher Girls books. You’ll feel for Kat as she struggles with people doubting her, trying to keep her family together, and getting in trouble. Despite the fact that day-to-day problems have been taken out of context and thrown into the world of thieves, you’ll still feel like you’ve been there. Kat’s uncle tells her not to get involved with a big crime boss because she’s just a child. She’s the only girl in a world of male thieves. She breaks rules and goes at things alone, then realizes she should have called for backup. Kat gets into tangles and gets out of them too. She makes new friends, new enemies, and somehow always manages to steal something.  I loved Kat as a character. She had so many flaws that would make her unlikable. She was jealous, a control freak, and always worrying. But I still loved her, because she always realized what she had done wrong in the end. She’s also one of the most forgiving characters, probably because she makes so many mistakes herself. Kat’s family is just as loveable. You’ll feel just as infatuated with them. 

These books are just as good as the Gallagher Girls, with a different main plot line. Kat and her gang break laws, steal things, and over all avoid attracting the government’s attention. Cammie and her girls are the law. I have to say, if Ally Carter ever wrote a cross over, I would buy it the day it came out, because I honestly don’t know who would win. Kat is fierce, sneaky, and not afraid to break the rules. Cammie is clever, strong, and knows how to work around the rules. These two girls are fantastic characters. It’s a shame these books aren’t more male-accessible, because they really are amazing. They have original plot lines, schemes you won’t understand until they’re explained, and plot twists you won’t see coming. I highly recommend both series, for the characters and the plot.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment