Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Day in the Life of a Children's Librarian

Have you ever wondered what a day is like for a librarian?  For me, every day is very different depending on what is going on at the library.  Here is what my day looked like on Monday, October 14th.

8:40am- Arrive at library.  Fill up my coffee cup (a VERY important part of my day) and help give Morgan LibraryBunny her medicine.  The poor thing has been under the weather.  :(

9:00am- We are open!

9:40am- Go to local elementary school to read to the 5th grade classes and the Kindergarten classes.  The 5th graders enjoyed hearing The Nightmare Before Christmas by Tim Burton and the Kindergarteners loved Monster Needs a Costume by Paul Czajak.  I also talked to the 5th graders about what types of books they wanted me to Book Talk during my next visit.  They want funny and scary!  Suggestions? 

11:30am- Arrive back at the library.  Check e-mails and talk to a staff member about Storytimes for 2014.

12:00pm-  Lunch!

1:00pm- Work on some program scheduling.  Talk to Cassie about tonight's inbeTWEEN the Lines book club.

2:00pm- Two Kindergarten classes stop by to check out books.  Am informed by one Kindergartener that we are in desperate need of more Power Rangers books.

3:00pm- Practice magic tricks for the Afterschool Adventures program.  Scare staff members and Morgan with popping balloons.  

4:00pm- Give Morgan her afternoon snack.  Start gathering books for next Thursday's Imagination Storytime.

4:25pm- Realize my Evening Storytime is this week (Thursday, 10/17 at 7:00pm!) and switch to working on that program.  Luckily, many of the books I took to read to the classes this morning will work for my program!

5:00pm- Check e-mails again.  I still haven't put away the leftover crafts from Morgan's birthday party, but I decide that can wait until tomorrow....

5:30pm- I'm done for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment