Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Reviews Are In...


One thing I look forward to doing every few days is reading the awesome mini-reviews participants in Summer Reading BINGO have turned it.  I normally grab a quick snack at my desk, and dive into the huge pile!  As of this afternoon at the Main branch alone, over 600 reviews have been submitted.  Now, I won't fib and say that I have personally read all 600 of them, but I do read through the majority.  I'm impressed not only with the sheer quantity, but also at how engaging and candid the reviews are. I've found that folks are pretty honest about what they like AND what they don't!

Here are a few reviews that may inspire you to try out a new author or genre:

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini:  "This amazing story captured several stories of individuals who were all connected.  It was beautifully written, heartbreaking, and intriguing as all the pieces of the puzzle were connected."
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: "The book was highly recommended and had raving reviews.  I guess, I'm a sap for happy endings.  On the one hand important characters survived, but so many regrets haunted them.  I felt cheated at how the book ended.  I wanted to know more."
The Floating Islands by Rachel Neumeier:  "A very fresh and original read-- this book is beautifully crafted fantasy that contains elements of magic, dragons, and empires in a way that I've never read before.  The writing is very detailed, but lyrical and has some very beautiful expressions.  I'm glad I read this."
 Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card:  "Futuristic Sci-Fi at it's best.  Genetic manipulation, illegal transplants,  plus chips to make memories and take over the mind.  A great story!"
 Participants have reviewed programs...
" I attended the worm composting library program.  It was a great program that taught us all about worms and how to obtain poo for fertilizer.  I enjoyed it a lot!"
"I came to the genealogy program to learn more about Heritage Quest.  It was a great program with lots of good information."
And they have even reviewed this blog!
"My favorite blog post was about the new mural.  What a beautiful and fun display.  I also enjoyed the one by Morgan about transforming the reading corner."
Stop by the display of "Groundbreaking Reads" next to the reference desk and check out the reviews for yourself!  It is an interesting way to learn more about what folks in Morgan County are reading, and what they think. 

Happy Reading,

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment